When Cincinnati, OH was founded in 1788, it was actually named Losantiville. Surveyor John Filson combined parts of four languages to come up with the name that means “the city opposite the mouth of the Licking River”. The L is from Licking River, os is Latin for “mouth”, anti is Greek for “opposite”, and ville is French for “city”. The name only lasted two years. In 1790, Governor (of the Northwest Territory) Arthur St. Clair changed the name to “Cincinnati” in honor of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which he was a member. The society honored General George Washington, who was considered a latter day Cincinnatus, the Roman farmer who was called to serve Rome as dictator, an office which he resigned after completing his task of defeating the Aequians.