Val tagged me yesterday to post seven book related things. Based on her seven, it seems fairly painless, so here goes.
1. I won an award in 3rd grade for a short story I wrote. All I remember is that the title was, “The Little Kitten,” and that I got to go to some special party. They also typed the story and made a cloth cover for it, but I have no idea what happened to it.
2. I didn’t read well until I was about eight, but by twelve or so, I was reading Stephen King.
3. My kids took after me–slow in coming to reading, but once they started there was no holding them back.
4. I went through a Nancy Drew phase, during which my mom bought me some 1930’s and 1940’s editions at a yard sale. I still have them. I also have a 1920’s copy of Tom Sawyer. I didn’t intend to start collecting antique books, but I’ve ended up with my grandmother’s books.
5. Speaking of Grandma, she was a teacher, so we always got at least one book for Christmas. Her favorite authors were Laura Ingalls Wilder, James Herriot, and Catherine Marshall. I don’t think she would have liked my fantasy writing much, but the Christian fiction I’m getting into would appeal to her.
6. Between Eric and his dad, I think we have everything ever written by Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey, and Anne McCaffrey.
7. If I won the lotto (won’t happen since I don’t play), I’d buy the building across the street from The Day Job. The bottom floor would be a bookstore, and the top would be office space and my writing loft. I’d hire someone to work mornings so I could write, and the afternoons I’d handle the store. Eric would split his time between the store and our website. We wouldn’t even need to have a coffee shop in our store–I’d just send them across the street!
I’m supposed to tag people, but I think I’ll just tag everyone. Leave me a comment if you decide to play!